Monday, October 03, 2005

From David Lesniaski: LIS committees

Please comment on this posting!

Soon, LIS students will be asked to participate in LIS committees--not as "token" student representatives but as equal participants in the LIS decision-making process. What are good ways to have this happen--to ensure that all LIS students have a fair chance to participate AND to ensure that all students in the LIS program have an effective way to make their voices and concerns heard?

The standard model for this is to create a graduate student organization within the program and to let that group determine how these issues play out. Yet I think the program--and that is ALL of us, students, faculty, staff--have to do what we can to make sure that whatever group or process emerges over time, it is effective in soliciting student concerns and in providing a forum for those concerns.

Hand in hand with any structures or organizations that emerge, I think we have to pay attention to the larger issue of LIS community. No student organization or representation will be effective without the surround and support of this community, Indeed, I don't see that it's possible to get a truly effective education merely by taking 36 credits. More than this has to happen. Somehow all of us have to provide a place for the happenstance conversations, projects, and exchange of ideas that is the real hallmark of a true educational experience.

And I know in this program asking more of everyone is difficult--students (and faculty and staff) have families or other personal commitments; many students work as well, and, between all these commitments, anyone would have a difficult time spending another minute on the LIS program. Yet I can't help but hear the voices of many contemporary writers who notice the tendency of education to be merely professional training/certification rather than education devoted toward creating an intellectual, ethical, and professional framework: a holistic education that is personally empowering and is the basis for life-long learning and teaching.

No matter how good the formal curriculum, much of this type of education takes place outside the classroom and in situations that spark learning across classes and across disciplines.

What can we--that means all of us--do to foster a community that will support this type of learning within the very real constraints we face?

I don't think there is "one way" to do this. I suspect that together we will have to create many paths, many opportunities, that individuals can choose from depending on their needs and circumstances. For now, I think we have to start exploring what some of these paths could be. For you--what would work? What would not? What obstacles to creating a better LIS community have you encountered thus far in your time here? What good experiences have you had that you would like to see more of? What ideas do you have for ensuring students have a good voice in helping to create and sustain such a learning community?

--David

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

It is time for the St. Kate's MLIS program to transition from 'what was' to 'what could be'. As a recent graduate of this program (August 2005). I'd like to throw in my 2 cents on your post and give a suggestion or two about some good places to start the overhaul process.

I think it's very important that St. Kate's faculty, staff and students all come to an agreement on this program's intent. The obvious intent of this program is to grant degrees to program participants that meet a laundry list of requirements. This is the formal education piece of this puzzle...12 classes (4 of which are Dominican) totaling 36 credits. Anything outside of this formalized curriculum is subject to the voluntary time/energy of students, faculty, and staff

In your post you state: "What can we--that means all of us--do to foster a community that will support this type of learning [an intellectual, ethical, and professional framework: a holistic education that is personally empowering and is the basis for life-long learning and teaching.] within the very real constraints we face?" The underlying assumption here is that program participants want this type of program. I think the knee-jerk reaction to this statement is "Yes, I want that type of program." But that's simply talk. Where are the actions?

As an example: Your post specifically requested replies on 10/03/2005. Here it is, 10/12/2005 and I am the 1st one to post; and I'm no longer part of the program. (Granted, the Progressive Librarian's blog is an official indicator. But, I'm sure you get my point)

The very real fact is that students are in the MLIS program for one singular reason: To get the degree. So, I ask the question: Should the new St. Kate's MLIS program simply go through the motions of granting degrees based on completion of the formal curriculum? Or, are program participants willing to go that extra mile to be part of a program as outlined above? The adage "Talk is Cheap" is very true. If you pursue this type of program are people going do what needs to be done to foster this type of community?

Don't get me wrong, I think the program you describe would be a pinnacle in all of our educational careers. Yet, I can't help but look at the behavior of myself and my former classmates. Showing up to class with a minute to spare, bolting out the door as soon as class was through, doing the bulk of my research online from home, and hoping we get an extra long break so we can get some coffee and call home before the lecture resumed. With so many other pressing life issues it is hard to ask more of people (as you stated in your post).

Whatever organization or group or committee which is borne from this (and other) faculty/staff/student discussions and decisions must be specific to one end: Gaining the skills, knowledge, and ethics to find gainful employment once the program is complete. That's what people are paying $650/credit for.


I'm not sure if Alumni are part of your future vision...but if we are please let me know. I am willing do what it takes.

James Johns
jwjohns@gmail.com

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home